Tuesday 30 July 2013

Teenager Charley Hull blazing a trail to the top of the women's game

The 17-year-old English player has been tipped for stardom by none other than Tony Jacklin

Charley Hull was never short on advice about the best way to kickstart her career in professional golf. Thus far, the 17-year-old's route to the summit seems perfectly plotted.

Hull first picked up a golf club at the age of two and has a talent which was recognised by those at the top of the game, long before she turned professional at the start of this year. Intriguingly, Hull briskly rejected any notion that she should enter into the professional ranks via the oft-used college system in the United States.

"That was never in my mind," she says. "I just didn't see the point when I was ready to play on tour, now. I would have spent four years at college when instead I am out here, earning money, serving an apprenticeship and loving it."

Hull left school at 13, receiving home tuition for the next three years. With her studies completed, she could focus full time on tournament golf. "I always wanted to be in professional golf, this is where I feel I should be now," she added.

Hull's plan has worked out perfectly thus far, but by her own admission the bright lights of the LPGA Tour in the United States "definitely" appeal in the future. She has already earned a place in that Tour's qualifying school later this year. During recent winters, Hull has spent practice and coaching time in the golfers' paradise of Florida.

For now, Hull is one of the star attractions at this weekend's ISPS Handa Ladies European Masters at Buckinghamshire Golf Club, an event which carries a €400,000 (£344,000) prize fund. The teenager will be afforded the same status when participating in the Ricoh Women's British Open at St Andrews next week.

It seems fitting that prominent ladies events fall in the immediate aftermath of the Open Championship, with the Solheim Cup also coming directly after the USPGA Championship. A legitimate complaint of female golfers, after all, is that occasionally negative publicity towards clubs such as Muirfield, which held last weekend's Open, on account of a male-only membership policy is out of proportion to the lack of attention given to the ladies' game.

Hull, with an endearing youthful attitude, sums up Muirfield's stance succinctly before nodding towards that wider issue. "It is very silly," she said. "We are all equals and should be treated as such.

"But what we also need are more events in England. This week we will have big names like Karrie Webb playing in the European Masters and we need more people to know about and see these players. I definitely believe that would be a huge help to women's golf, more events like this and more attention on them."

A run of five second places in Hull's first six professional events has taken her to third place in the Ladies European Tour order of merit. "I have worked really hard. And I want it, I want success," she said. With success, however, comes a level of attention which isn't familiar to most 17-year-olds. "When you have five second places, there is bound to be extra focus on you, I understand that. I am able to ignore most of it, to be honest. I can still get on with my golf and spend time with my friends."

Still, that spotlight will intensify even further if Hull earns her place as the youngest ever member of Europe's Solheim Cup team. At present she lies 10th in the rankings for the event, which will be staged at Colorado Golf Club in mid-August.

"It would mean a lot to be part of that," Hull admitted. "But it isn't something I'm thinking about. I am only 17, I don't need the extra pressure of thinking about a Solheim Cup team. It sounds simple but I am just concentrating on playing golf and I am loving that. And I want to win now, win a couple of times, that's definitely in my mind."

Among those credited with a heavy influence on Hull's career is Tony Jacklin, the two-times major winner who has tipped Hull for golfing greatness.

"I went to Tony's house in the United States at the beginning of this year, just to pick up some tips," Hull explained. "I met him a few years ago and we have kept in touch. He taught me a lot about certain things to do on the golf course but also about relaxing and practising."

Hull has proved adept at taking on advice. Even if not in the next fortnight, a breakthrough victory is in the offing.


theguardian.com © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

View full article

 

(unsubscribe from this feed)