Wednesday 31 July 2013

South Korea's Inbee Park aims for 'grand slam' at Women's British Open

• In-form favourite is sanguine about chance to make history
• Victory would make her first with four majors in same year

South Korea's Inbee Park insists she can handle the pressure of attempting to create history in the Ricoh Women's British Open.

Victory over the Old Course at St Andrews would make Park the first player, male or female, to win four professional major championships in the same year.

Tiger Woods has held all four major titles at the same time, but his winning run started with the US Open in 2000 and he completed the Tiger Slam at the following year's US Masters.

Park has won six times in 2013, claiming the second major of her career when she won the Kraft Nabisco title in April. The 25-year-old from Seoul then beat Scotland's Catriona Matthew in a play-off to win the LPGA Championship before a four-stroke victory in the US Open.

By winning the year's first three majors, Park has already matched the feat of the great American Babe Zaharias, who won the only three women's majors which existed in 1950.

But winning on Sunday would not officially give Park a grand slam following the decision to make the Evian Masters the Evian Championship and elevate it to the fifth major on the calendar, starting in September.

Whatever the wrongs and rights of that decision, Park appears more relaxed than anyone when considering her bid to make history.

"At first I felt the pressure, but as the time goes by, the more experience I get, I really started to get used to it, and once I get on the golf course I don't get really think about it so much," Park said in her pre-tournament press conference.

"Obviously it is tougher to play under pressure than without the pressure. This (playing golf) is what I love to do and if the pressure is something that comes with playing good golf, that's something a professional golfer has to handle.

"It's much better than playing in the first group out and nobody is watching. I think I would rather be playing in the last group and feel the pressure all the time.

"At the moment I'm getting a lot of attention from everywhere, especially back home in Korea. It's really big in Korea. Everybody is expecting me to play well and I have got so many people praying for me, so many people wishing me luck. It's amazing how many people are on my side and I think that really comes to my advantage.

"It really gives me a lot of good energy to come into this weekend and it really motivates me and gives me inspiration to play well this week. It's huge everywhere, I can feel it.

"But I don't try to put so much pressure on myself to have to win this week. Three major wins this year is I think very good for me, something that I really never expected to be doing.

"Having this kind of opportunity at the British Open, and just the fact that I could have this kind of opportunity, is very special. It's an experience that I'll remember forever.

"If it could happen, it's something that I will never forget. My name will be in the history of golf forever, even after I die."

Meanwhile, it was announced on Wednesday that Turnberry will stage the Ricoh Women's British Open for only the second time in the championship's history in 2015.

Australia's Karrie Webb triumphed over the famous Ailsa course when the tournament was last held there in 2002.


theguardian.com © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

View full article

 

(unsubscribe from this feed)